Management Background – Current
- Executive Director at Elgin-St. Thomas Community Foundation [[http://www.escf.ca| Click here to visit The Foundation
- Published novelist, with three mystery novels, Snow Candy (March 2008), Body Contact (2006) and No Blood Relative (1995), all published by Mercury Press.
Current Volunteer Work
- Holy Angels’ Church – Reader and Leader
- ”’St. Thomas Seniors Picnic In The Park
- Knights of Columbus Council #1467 – Member
Management Background – Previous
- Freelance Editor at Elgin This Month
- Owner with Nancy Carroll of St. Thomas-Elgin Weekly News and Elgin This Month
- Strategic Planning and Facilitation work for:
– Port Stanley Festival Theatre
– Serenity House Hospice
– Community Council for Children and Youth Elgin
– Stork Club, Port Stanley
– Aylmer Library and Town Hall Ad Hoc Committee
- Association and community building work for St. Thomas Executives Association and Elgin-St. Thomas United Way
- United Way CEO 1997-2004
Elgin-St. Thomas United Way St. Thomas, Ontario. Working with a dedicated group of Board members, volunteers and staff, brought the campaign from $750,000 to $1,000,000.
- Chief staff person on the launch of the Elgin-St. Thomas Community Foundation, which moved from a division of United Way to become a separate charitable organization.
Management Background – Prior to 1997
- Publisher of weekly newspapers, culminating in the position of Publisher, the daily St. Thomas Times-Journal and Group Publisher, an area manager position with Bowes Publishers Limited.
- Community Leader: Chair of the Community Capacity Building Process called E5 “Where Do You Want Elgin To Be In Five Years?” with three main projects: Youth Centre, Rural Economic Development and Social Planning.
- Team Builder: Chaired the volunteer Group Workcamp project for Kiwanis Club of St. Thomas, earning Mel Osborne Fellowship Award.
- Community Fund Raiser: Volunteered for successful Talbot Teen Centre Capital Campaign, St. Thomas-Elgin Public Art Centre Capital Campaign, 2001 Canada Summer Games Fundraising Committee
- Innovator: Instrumental in the launch of Elgin St. Thomas Super Shopper, which evolved into St. Thomas Elgin Weekly News. Launching Elgin This Month September 2010. Helped launch Elgin-St. Thomas Community Foundation and United Way Day of Caring.
- Writer: Columnist with St. Thomas Elgin Weekly News and Elgin This Month. Launched newspaper and email column for United Way.
- Novelist: Shortlisted for Arthur Ellis Award from the Crime Writers of Canada for mystery novels SNOW CANDY and NO BLOOD RELATIVE published by Mercury Press. BODY CONTACT, also published by Mercury Press, was longlisted for a Canadian Relit award. Also placed second in 2006 Great Canadian Story Contest sponsored by Storyteller Magazine and 2005 Golden Horseshoe mystery short story award from the Toronto chapter, Crime Writers of Canada.
- Working Across Sectors: President’s Appreciation Award from Sherwood Park, Alberta Chamber of Commerce.
- Winner: Bill Draayer Award for outstanding contribution to the Alberta Weekly Newspaper Association.
Other Volunteer Work
- Crime Writers of Canada – Regional Vice-president for Toronto and Southern Ontario
- City of St. Thomas – 2007 Civic Award Winner for volunteer work in the city
- International Plowing Match – Corporate Sponsorship Committee IPM 2010
- Crime Writers of Canada – Judge of national Arthur Ellis Awards in short story category
- Save The Mothers International – Canadian Media Contact for national Mothers Day media campaign
- Honours B.A., Philosophy
Trent University Peterborough, Ontario
- On-Site facilitation training
United Way of Canada
- Executive Director Training
United Way of Canada
- Leadership training certificate
- Numerous Leadership And Sales Courses With Bowes Publishers Limited